Group Visit to Cowfold
Saturday 23rd May 2009
Photos by kind permission of Bob Laker
Our visit to Cowfold was guided by Churchwardens John Chamberlin and Martyn Stretch.
A map on the Lych gate defines the fencing responsibilities of the occupiers of local land,
and we saw several sections of fence relating the names of local farms.
The church has a 1433 brass to Thomas Nelond on the floor,
which is generally kept covered to protect it.
It was originally in the Priory at Lewes but was moved to Cowfold around 1537.
The church has some nice stained glass, some of which, dated from the 13th and 14th century.
Several us braved the winding stairs to the church tower
Half way up is the clock floor where we saw the weekly winding of the 1839 clock.
Then we squeezed around the bell tower where we could see some of the six bells
Then to the top of the tower which afforded lovely views of the surrounding country-side,
including St Hugh's Charterhouse, with its 200 feet spire
The 13th century Church has many pretty cottages facing the green.
Then on to tea in the Village Hall
Many thanks to the Cowfold WI !
What a great day !