Ceremony Plans

Charles Nesfield Andrewes
Frederick Balchin
Henry Bennett
Charles Bradford
William Burgess
Arthur Chessall
James Compton
Aldwyn Custance
Charles Deacon
Frank Eames
George Fuggles
Isaac Gratwicke
Peter Gratwicke
Alfred Hide
Charles Howell
John Huntley
Arthur Kennard
Henry Kensett
Sidney Kensett
Bernard Laker
Frederick Laker
Frederick Lewry
Philip Mitchell
Thomas Owen
William Parsons
Charles Rapley
Charles Roberts
Arthur Rush
William Sayers
Alec Shoubridge
Thomas Shoubridge
Frank Simmons
James Standing
Albert Welcome
Frederick Whitner
James Willis

Frederick Boniface
Charles Bourne
Alexander Buller
John Corbet-Ward
Richard Corbet-Ward
Alfred Godward
Norman Gratwicke
Vivian Hughes
Harry Jones
Charles Knight
Frank Knight
John Lawson
Lawrence Moore
James Steadman
Herbert Turk
Charles Wieland
Richard Wykes

Click here to visit the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website.

Contact us

Southwater War Memorial


Name George Frederick FUGGLES
Regiment CH/14856 Corporal Royal Marine Light Infantry. HMS Formidable
Died 1st January 1915 when HMS Formidable was sunk by two torpedoes from German U-boat 24 while on exercises. The first torpedo hit the number one boiler port side. A second explosion caused the ship to list heavily to starboard. Huge waves thirty feet high lashed the ship, with strong winds, rain and hail, causing it to sink in less than two hours. Only 199 men were saved out from the ships complement of 750. Captain Loxley, his second-in-command, Commander Ballard, and the signaller stayed at their posts throughout, sending flares and rockets off at regular intervals. There was no panic, the men waiting calmly for the lifeboats to be lowered. Someone played ragtime on the piano, others sang. The Chaplain, (Revd. G Brooke Robinson who was formerly Curate of Burton Bradstock) went down with the ship by risking his life going below to find cigarettes. Suddenly the ship gave a tremendous lurch, the Captain shouted 'Lads, this is the last, all hands for themselves, and may God bless you and guide you to safety'. He then walked to the forebridge, lit a cigarette and, with his terrier Bruce on duty at his side, waited for the end, in true Royal Naval tradition. The piano was thrown overboard: many of the boats were smashed as they were lowered into the water, killing all occupants, or else were swamped and sank. 'A piano's better than now't', said one. One pinnace with 70 men on board was picked up by the trawler Provident, 15 miles off Berry Head. The second pinnace took off another 70 men. This boat was soon half-filled with water as the men desperately bailed - with boots, caps, even a blanket, anything that came to hand. One seaman sat over a hole in the boat from the time they started away to the time of rescue. The enormous swell was terrifying, but morale was kept up by any means, humour, singing, even bullying. Petty Officer Bing admitted punching men who wanted to give up. The survivors unanimously agreed they owed their lives to Leading Seaman Carroll, coxswain, who continued to cheer and inspire, not allowing them to sink into despair. Dawn broke out of sight of land; a liner was seen, then eleven other craft, but the pounding seas and huge waves hid the pinnace. Night came, still with relentless gales. Blackout restrictions were in force, and there are two explanations for the seamen seeing light from the shore. Petty Officer Bing saw a red light seven miles away which could have been the Lyme harbour light. The other explanation from J H Taplin, another survivor, was that a sudden bright light shone out three miles off, which may have been from the Assembly Rooms cinema. The machine had broken down and the operator examining it shone the lamp through the window for a second or two. The pinnace was first seen at Lyme by Miss Gwen Harding and her parents walking home along Marine Parade after dining out with friends. She glimpsed the outline of a boat, her mother confirmed her suspicions and the alarm was raised. So began the rescue. Of the 71 men in the pinnace, 48 were brought ashore alive, six were found to be dead on arrival, 14 died during the 22 hours the men had fought for survival and were buried at sea, and three died after landing. The Pilot Boat Inn (Mrs. Atkins the landlady took many survivors in. Her dog Lassie drew attention to Seaman Cowan, laid on the floor for dead, by licking his face) became rescue headquarters. Many of the townsfolk brought food and blankets. Others took men into their homes to rest and recuperate, while those needing medical aid were sent to hospital. The dead were placed in the entrance to the cinema, a part of the old Assembly Rooms. Information with thanks to www.burtonbradstock.org.uk/History/Wrecks
Age 24
Cemetery Chatham Naval Memorial 13.
Family Son of William Fuggles ( late Colour Sergeant RMLI) and Mary EJ Fuggles of Post Office , Christís Hospital

Chatham Naval Memorial

HMS Formidable