Ceremony Plans

Charles Nesfield Andrewes
Frederick Balchin
Henry Bennett
Charles Bradford
William Burgess
Arthur Chessall
James Compton
Aldwyn Custance
Charles Deacon
Frank Eames
George Fuggles
Isaac Gratwicke
Peter Gratwicke
Alfred Hide
Charles Howell
John Huntley
Arthur Kennard
Henry Kensett
Sidney Kensett
Bernard Laker
Frederick Laker
Frederick Lewry
Philip Mitchell
Thomas Owen
William Parsons
Charles Rapley
Charles Roberts
Arthur Rush
William Sayers
Alec Shoubridge
Thomas Shoubridge
Frank Simmons
James Standing
Albert Welcome
Frederick Whitner
James Willis

Frederick Boniface
Charles Bourne
Alexander Buller
John Corbet-Ward
Richard Corbet-Ward
Alfred Godward
Norman Gratwicke
Vivian Hughes
Harry Jones
Charles Knight
Frank Knight
John Lawson
Lawrence Moore
James Steadman
Herbert Turk
Charles Wieland
Richard Wykes

Click here to visit the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website.

Contact us

Southwater War Memorial


Name William Arthur BURGESS
Regiment T/27908, Driver 3rd Div. Train, Army Service Corps
Died on 17 October 1918 age 26
Family Son of William and Laura Burgess of East Lodge, Christ's Hospital. His father worked as a steward at the school.
Husband of Gertrude May Burgess, of 28, Hampstead Rd., Dorking, Surrey.
William Arthur Burgess was born 18th January 1892 in Horsham and was a labourer working for JE Quick, when slackness of trade led him to apply to join the army. He was aged 17 years 6 months when he enlisted as Driver T/27908 Army Service Corps 3rd Div Train on 28th July 1909. His physical characteristics were given as 5ft 3¾inches tall, 119lbs (8½ stone), chest 36½inches when fully expanded (with an expansion of 3 inches), fresh complexion, hazel eyes and light brown hair. He had the outline of a heart and a cross tattooed on his left forearm and was decreed “fit” for service by Lt Col Scanlon at the Recruiting Office in Guildford on that day.
Two days later he was transferred to Aldershot. At the end of two years service in July 1911, he was transferred to the Army Reserve and a note on the file says his conduct was very good with an understanding of the care and management of horses. It also showed he had grown to 38inch chest and 5 feet 5 inches in height. He went home to his family at 59 East Street, Horsham with an Army “Sobriety” Certificate.
In 1912 William wrote to the Army HQ at Woolwich Dockyard saying he had been out of work since leaving the Army and requesting permission to go to Canada to join his father who was living at 305 Earls Street, Kingston, Ontario, Canada. We do not know if permission was granted but at the start of the Great War his record shows he was mobilised on 5th August 1914 on which day he was granted a Good Conduct badge. He lost this and was sentenced to 28 days field punishment on 1st July 1915 for insolence to an NCO. The badge was restored a year later on 1st July 1916 and a year later in August 1917 was promoted to Acting Lance Corporal.
Granted leave from 10th to 24th February 1918 he was married in Southwater Church by Rev Denham to Gertrude May Stoner of 8 Andrews Lane on 14th February 1918, with Gertrude’s brother Henry Stoner and Harry Laker being witnesses. A few months after his return to the Regiment he was awarded a second Good Conduct badge on 1st July 1918 with an extra 4d a day in pay.
Living in the trenches took its toll on his health and in February 1915 he had been hospitalised for three days with influenza. In 1918 he was struck with flu again. Having been ill for several days again he was admitted to hospital with a temperature of 103.8. (98.4 being the usual temperature ! ). He died aged 26, at 7.10 pm on 17th October 1918 at 52nd Stationery Hospital Le Havre of broncho-pneumonia, contracted on active service. Yet another casualty of the ‘flu Pandemic.

In total he had served 9 years 82 days. His widow Gertrude May Burgess was awarded a pension of 12s and 6d a week.